The Victorian Government is developing a new water plan, Water for Victoria which will set the strategic direction for water management in
Victoria for decades to come.
A discussion paper has been released, proposing a vision for the
future of water management. The discussion paper has been designed to encourage
discussion with the community and other stakeholders on the future of water in
Water is fundamental to our communities. We will manage water to
support a healthy environment, a prosperous economy and thriving communities,
now and into the future.
Our water systems will be resilient to drought and climate
change, our communities will be at the centre of decision making and we will
elements of the water plan
The Water for Victoria discussion paper recognises the
importance of water to Victoria's economy and communities. The draft plan
focuses on nine key elements:
- Climate change
- Waterway and catchment health
- Water for agriculture
- Recognising recreational values
- Recognising and managing for Aboriginal values
- Resilient and liveable cities and towns
- Planning and entitlement frameworks
- Realising the potential of Victoria's water grid and water markets
- Jobs, economy and innovation.